How to Host Your Next AGM Online
Annual General Meetings (AGMs) are a legal requirement for many organizations. During these meetings, company directors present annual reports about finances and performance to shareholders and board members.
Hosting AGMs during the COVID-19 pandemic has been a problem for many organizations like yours. Recent changes to legislation have allowed company directors to move AGMs online, allowing directors and shareholders to exchange information in a digital space. But the success of these meetings depends on whether or not your company has the right video platform.
In the pandemic era and beyond, organizations require technology like live streaming and video on demand. Using a free tool like YouTube to stream and record AGM events won't provide directors with the security, privacy, and performance they deserve.
In this guide, learn how to host your next AGM online and discover how Viostream streamlines the entire process.
Table of Contents
- Promote Your Meeting
- Create a List of Attendees
- Use the Right Equipment
- Choose the Right Video Platform
- How Viostream Helps
Promote Your Meeting
You must promote your AGM so shareholders and board members can attend. Post an invitation to the event on your intranet (if shareholders/board members can access this channel) or email prospective attendees. Choose a date and time that suits most people.
Here are some things to include in invitations:
- Date/time of the event
- The name of the person hosting the event (i.e. the company director).
- The topics to discuss during the event (sales, performance, strategic goals, and so on).
- Event location (i.e. an online video platform like Viostream).
- Where you will post a recording of the stream after the event. Some platforms (like Viostream) also allow you to post pre-recordings as well.
Create a List of Attendees
Governments around the world have relaxed some rules and regulations associated with AGMs because of the pandemic. However, you must keep a list of all attendees and participants in the meeting. Typically, the event's host will read out names from an invitation list and ask attendees to confirm their presence in the live stream. Don't forget to do this!
Use the Right Equipment
You don't need lots of equipment to host your online AGM, but investing in the right technology will improve the audio-visual aspect of your live stream. Here are three tools you require:
- A video encoder that turns your audio and visual into the correct format so you can live stream your AGM on a video platform like Viostream.
Pro-tip: Digital Camera World has compiled a list of the best cameras for live streaming in 2021. Check out the list here.
Choose the Right Video Platform
Not all video platforms are the same. Company directors require a robust and secure tool when hosting AGMs online, as required by law in some countries. Live streaming an AGM through an unsafe platform could cause all kinds of compliance and data security issues. You need a tool that safeguards your data and prevents hackers from accessing sensitive business information. Popular platforms like YouTube and Facebook Live won't provide you with the security you need.
You should also consider live streaming features. Choose a video platform that offers features like:
- Live URLs: Post links to your AGM so all attendees can join the meeting on time.
- Embedded Live Streams: Embed your AGM in a private website or blog so shareholders and board members can quickly access the stream.
- Transcripts: Transcribe AGM communications. You can share these transcripts with team members and compile key takeaways for blog posts, press releases, or internal communications.
- Accessibility: Consider accessibility features such as closed-captioning for pre-recorded AGM meetings.
- Advanced Analytics: Track engagement during and after your AGM meeting. Use this data to improve future live streams.
How Viostream Helps
Viostream is a video platform built for companies that want to engage with shareholders and board members in a safe virtual environment. Businesses trust Viostream to host secure and compliant meetings over the internet. Using this video management solution lets you stream your AGM and engage with shareholders and board members just like you would at an in-person meeting.
With Viostream, you get world-class security that protects information (required by law in various countries), HTML5 and 4K video technology, guest management features, and much more. It's no wonder that businesses and governments have used Viostream for almost 20 years.
Hosting an AGM online is easier than you think if you promote your event, use the right equipment, and invest in an excellent online video platform like Viostream. By following the tips on this list, you can improve compliance, keep data secure, and engage with shareholders and board members without breaking a sweat. Viostream optimises engagement, interactivity, and asynchronous communication for all corporate events, including AGMs, sales pitches, virtual town halls, and more. Use it as an alternative to platforms like YouTube and Vimeo, which don't provide you with the security, privacy, and performance standards you deserve.
Viostream makes it simple for governments and businesses to host AGMs online. Contact our customer support team to learn more about how Viostream's professional video hosting platform can help improve your business communications today.