Online security has become an enormous concern for businesses worldwide. That's why more enterprises are embedding password-protected videos into their websites. While YouTube and other free platforms let you create 'unlisted' videos, you need enhanced authentication to stop unauthorized persons from accessing sensitive content.
Why You Need to Password-Protect Videos
Cybercriminals are becoming increasingly sophisticated in their quest for your most valuable business information. Here are some online security facts that will shock you:
- Every minute, companies lose $2,900,000 to cybercriminals.
- The average cost of a data breach is $3.86 million.
- Worldwide cybercrime costs will reach $6 trillion a year by the end of 2021.
While organizations invest heavily in malware protection and other online security tools, few think about the potential risks of online video. Cybercriminals can access the videos on your website at any time or join your live streams without permission. Once this happens, they could steal any sensitive information in these videos, such as sales information, customer data, or company secrets. It's not just cybercriminals that can cause trouble. 'Zoom bombing,' where an unauthorized person joins a Zoom call, was a common occurrence in 2020. Adding a password to your online videos can prevent these problems.
But it's not just cybercrime that's a concern for organizations like yours. Insider threats also pose a significant safety risk. Current or former employees who have access to your videos can share private information with others, for example. Adding a password to your videos — so only people you trust can access content — proves valuable.
Use an Online Video Platform With Password Protection
You need an online video platform that hosts your videos and offers authentication methods like those above. Regular video platforms like YouTube just don't offer the security benefits most companies require. When you require viewers to register a new account or confirm their credentials, you increase your security protocols significantly.
Related Reading: The Dangers of Growing Your YouTube Audience
By adding authentication to your videos, you can share sensitive information with clients, investors, and partners. This information might include sales targets, profits, revenues, and other financial information you don't want anyone else to know. You can also add authentication to internal communications and increase security when sharing information in your corporate offices.
Some of the best online video platforms with password protection features include:
Want to see what a difference a private professional hosting platform can make to your online video security? Try Viostream free for 14 days.
Different Password-Protection Methods
Here are some password-protection methods that safeguard videos:
- Viewer Email Registration: When viewers register an account before they access videos. These viewers need a valid email address.
- Social Sign-In: When viewers log in with one of their social media accounts before they access videos. These viewers will need a valid account on Facebook, LinkedIn, Google, or another platform.
- Single Sign-On: When viewers log in via a single sign-on service like AzureAD, Okta, or Auth0 before they access videos.
Protect Your Video Content with Viostream
Viostream adds an extra layer of security to your video content strategy. Whether you want to password-protect existing videos or add videos with sensitive content to your libraries, Viostream has a broad range of security features that prevent cybercriminals, insider threats, and other real-world risks. These security features include viewer email registration, social sign-in, and single sign-on. In addition, Viostream offers a number of other security benefits:
- IP restrictions limit video playback to people using specific internet addresses. For example, you can choose to only allow people in your corporate offices to watch content.
- Geo-blocking limits video playback to people in specific locations in the world.
- Domain whitelists limit how websites embed video content.
- User roles limit particular employees from accessing video content.
- Audit logs tell you which employees access and manage videos through the Viostream platform.
When you use these security features, you can also improve compliance with data governance legislation such as GDPR and HIPAA.
Adding passwords and other authentication methods to your videos prevents cybercrime and insider threats. As a result, you can share sensitive information with clients and safeguard your most valuable asset: Data. Use an online video platform that provides you with the security you deserve.
Viostream's suite of security features provides you with much-needed peace of mind. Start your free trial and see how Viostream's professional hosting platform can help improve the security of your online video content today.